This dish is courtesy of our friends at Fresh City Farms - a cool grocery and meal service that focuses on local, organic, seasonal and wild ingredients. This warm organic farro bowl includes all kinds of tasty cold-weather flavours, balancing between sweet and salty. The lemon brightens the dish, while the combination of the roasted sweet potatoes and pulled chicken make it hearty. And for the second time on our recipe blog, we are featuring the nutty and delicious farro. You can use Lucky Iron Fish-infused water for the farro, or drop it in for 10 minutes while it is simmering. Enjoy!
Prep Time: 10min. Total Time: 1.25hr. Servings: 2 servings
- 1 Lucky Iron Fish
- 3/4 cup farrow
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 small onion
- 1-2 cloves of garlic
- 4-6 medium chicken thighs
- 1 tsp parsley
- 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup of peas
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- Preheat oven to 375°F, and line a baking dish. Add chicken thighs and season with salt and pepper.
- Rinse farro in a fine mesh sieve. Set to dry.
- Peel and dice onion, and mince garlic.
- Rinse and chop sweet potatoes into dice shaped cubes.
- Zest the lemon (optional) and slice in half.
- In a large bowl, mix sweet potatoes, onion, and garlic with 1 tbsp. olive oil. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Add the vegetable mixture to the baking dish with the chicken thighs. Spread vegetables evenly around the thighs.
- Place the baking dish in the oven and bake until chicken has cooked through and vegetables are golden, about 40 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Once cooled, remove the chicken from the baking dish and reserve the excess juices from the pan for serving. Pull chicken and discard the bones.
- To make the farro, bring a medium pot of 2 cups water to a boil. Add the 3⁄4 cup farro. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until grains have softened, about 30 minutes.
- Add the peas to the cooked farro and continue simmering for a remaining 5 minutes.
- In the same bowl used for vegetables, add the farro and peas, cranberries, (optional: zest of a lemon), juice of a lemon, and the pan juices. If desired, lightly season with salt.
- Evenly distribute farro into two bowls, top with chicken and vegetables. Serve and enjoy!