This Chilli con Carne is great comfort food, packed with iron-boosting ingredients like beef, beans and the Lucky Iron Fish. The tomatoes in this recipe count as the citrus needed to release the iron from the Lucky Iron Fish. Give everyone their choice for toppings and pair with rice (made with Lucky Iron Fish water), potatoes or fresh bread to complete the meal. It’s even better as leftovers!
Prep Time: 30min. Total Time: 1hr. Servings: 9 servings, 1-3/4 cups (425 mL) each
- 1 Lucky Iron Fish
- 2 Tbsp. oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-1/2 lb. (675 g) extra-lean ground beef
- 1 can (28 oz/796 mL) no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (19 fl oz/540 mL) no-salt-added red kidney beans, rinsed
- 1 can (10 fl oz/284 mL) 25%-less-sodium beef broth
- 1 can (5.5 fl oz/156 mL) tomato paste
- 2 Tbsp. chili powder
- 2 tsp. dried oregano leaves
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 6 cups hot cooked long-grain white rice, made with Lucky Iron Fish water (or cooked potatoes or bread)
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Sour cream or plain greek yogurt
- Green onions
- Bacon bits
- Heat oil in large saucepan on medium-high heat. Add onions, green peppers and garlic; cook and stir 5 min. or until tender. Add meat; cook 10 min. or until evenly browned, stirring frequently.
- Stir in tomatoes, beans, broth, tomato paste and seasonings; bring to boil. Add Lucky Iron Fish, simmer, partially covered, on low heat for 10 minutes, then remove the Lucky Iron Fish (wash and dry it). Continue simmering for 50 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve over rice or potatoes, and top as you like.