Humble and nutritious, this One-Pot Pasta recipe is perfect for busy weeknights! All you need is a few pantry staples.
- Olive Oil
- 1 pack of ground veggie "meat" or ground beef (optional)
- 1 teaspoon dried basil (or 1 tablespoon fresh)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 4-6 garlic cloves, chopped
- Seasoning per taste: Italian seasoning, Garlic powder, Cayenne pepper, Onion powder, Oregano, etc.
- 3 cups water
- 1½ cups chopped tomatoes (or favourite canned pasta sauce)
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste (optional)
- 12 ounces thin spaghetti (dry, uncooked, broken into thirds)
- Kosher salt and ground black pepper (to taste)
- 1 Lucky Iron Fish or Lucky Iron Leaf
Gather the ingredients.
Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Crumble the ground beef/ meat substitute into the pot and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring frequently.
Add the onion and garlic. Keep cooking till the onion looks transparent and the meat is cooked. Then add salt and other seasonings to your taste, and stir till evenly mixed.
Add all the water, the chopped tomatoes or pasta sauce, tomato paste; bring to a boil, stirring frequently.
Once it begins boiling, add your Lucky Iron Fish. Let it cook for 10 minutes, then remove it.
Add the uncooked pasta, stir, and reduce heat to medium-low. Let it simmer until the spaghetti is just tender and most of the liquid has been absorbed.
Turn off the heat and cover the pan; let the spaghetti stand for 5 minutes.
Taste the spaghetti and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Serve the spaghetti sprinkled with fresh basil.