- 1 lucky iron fish
- 2 cups Vegetable stock
- 4 cups diced preserved tomatoes
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 medium sized spanish onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and finely diced
- 1lb dried white beans, soaked in water for 4 hours
- 1lb dried white hominy corn
- 1lb butternut squash, peeled seeds removed and diced
- .25 tsp crushed red chili flakes
- .75 tbsp ground cumin
- .5 tbsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp kosher salt
- .5 bunch flat leaf Italian parsley. Washed, stems removed and chopped
Put vegetable stock, tomatoes and Lucky Iron Fish in a pot. Bring to a boil for 10 mins, then remove fish.
In a separate pot sweat off the onions and garlic in the oil until translucent, about 5-7 mins over medium heat. Add in the cumin, chili, salt and pepper and continue to cook for 2 mins.
Add in the stock, beans and hominy and simmer until the bean and hominy are almost cooked. Add in the butternut squash and cook for 15-20 minutes until the squash, corn beans are all tender.
Remove from heat and add in parsley.
Yields roughly 8 (8oz) portions
Recipe provided by: Miijidaa Café + Bistro