This is a hearty autumn soup that benefits from a little spicy kick thanks to chili powder and jalapeño peppers. Kids have fun adding their choice of toppings and adults enjoy the tasty combination of flavours. Make the recipe your own by playing around with your choice of beans and chopped veggies.
Prep Time: 40 minutes, including time to sauté
Cook Time: 45-60 minutes
Total Time: 60-75 Minutes
2 fresh jalapeños, deseeded and finely chopped
1/3 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
1/3 cup low fat sour cream
1 cup tortilla chips, crushed
1 ripe avocado, cubed
- Combine the vegetable broth and lime juice in a pot with the Lucky Iron Fish. Bring to a boil for 10 minutes, take out Fish and set aside while you start preparing the soup.
- Heat a large pot on medium heat. Add olive oil, garlic, and onions, carrot, red pepper and celery. Cook and stir for 4-5 minutes or until onions becomes translucent.
- Add cumin, chilli powder and black pepper. Add tomatoes and your vegetable stock. Stir while bringing to medium heat. Then bring it to a low boil.
- Once boiling, add black beans and corn. Reduce to low heat. Cover and let simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add your choice of toppings.
Recipe adapted from the Minimalist Baker “Black Bean Tortilla Soup”
Nutrient Profile (excluding toppings)
Per serving (1/8 recipe)